Sciex is the promotion tool for research teams from all disciplines, consisting of team-members from the EU10 and Switzerland. Sciex Fellows from the EU10: BGR, CZE, EST, HUN, LTU, LVA, POL, ROU, SVK, SVN pursue their research in cooperation with Swiss researchers in Swiss research institutions. Ideal working and framework conditions support the success of their research. Sciex is part of the Swiss Contribution to the New Member States of the EU.
The programme fully adheres to the European Charter and Code for Researchers.
2009 (second quarter) - 2016
A Sciex Fellowship consists of the costs for research training placements of Sciex Fellows (employer’s salary costs, journey) and the costs for knowledge exchange of the Sciex Mentors (three reciprocal visits). All Sciex payments are issued to the Swiss Host Institution. The Swiss Host Institution administers the Fellowship.
Research Training Placements for Sciex Fellows
Research training Placements for Sciex Fellows, reserved for promising doctoral candidates and post-doctoral researchers from the new member states (no age restriction).
- Fellows are in a Doctoral Education or do post-doctoral research.
- Placements last between a minimum of 6 and a maximum of 18 (for PostDocs) and 24 (for Doctoral Candidates) months.
- Swiss Host Institutions will be required to finance all costs related to the work of the Fellow, which are not covered by the Sciex Fellowship.
Please note that there is no possibility to apply for extension. Furthermore, Doctoral Candidates and/or PostDocs, who were already granted a Sciex Fellowship, do not have the possibility to apply a second time for a Sciex funding.
3 Short-term Visits are provided for both Mentors from the NMS and from Switzerland of an approved Sciex project. The aims of these Short-term Visits are:
- Mentoring visits to support the Fellow and
- Networking of the Mentors (intensify their cooperation and discuss joint research projects).
Costs covered by a Sciex Fellowship
- Salary of Sciex Fellows:
CHF 50«000.- p.a. (Doctoral Candidate: months 1 - 12);
CHF 55»000.- p.a. (Doctoral Candidate: months 13 – 24);
CHF 80«000.- p.a. (PostDoc).
- Those social taxes, which are to be paid by the employer (according to the SNSF rules)
- Additional Allowances of the Fellow (journey, participation in conferences) max. CHF 2»500.-
- 3 Reimbursable Short-term Visits of Sciex Mentors: CHF 7«500.- (max. CHF 2»500.- per visit)
EU-10 Doctoral Candidates, who are enrolled in the Home Institution can apply for a Sciex Doctoral Candidate Fellowship and EU-10 researchers with a doctoral degree, who are employed at the Home Institution, can apply for a Sciex PostDoc Fellowship. Professors from both countries support the Fellows as partner mentors (Forms F-2a, F-2b).
Institutions must be eligible
The Home Institution must agree with the research stay (Form F-3a). Employment conditions at the Swiss Host Institutions must correspond to the high Sciex standards. They undersign a corresponding agreement (Form F-4). Swiss Host Institutions will be required to finance all costs related to the work of the Fellow, which are not covered by the Sciex Fellowship (Form F-3b).
Mentors and Fellows have an English language competence on at least level B2 / ELP. They will be required to write reports and publications in English.
The selection of candidates is based exclusively on the scientific quality of the fellowship proposal.
Calls & Applications
An application consists of 5 forms. One application form each is filled in by the Fellow (F-1), by both Mentors (F-2a, F-2b), and both Research Institutions (F-3a, F-3b). The Main Applicant is the Swiss Mentor.