Swiss Animal Facilities Network (SAFN)
SAFN is a network of facilities keeping animals used for scientific experimentation. Ten Swiss Higher Education institutions are members of the SAFN: EPFL, ETHZ, University of Basel and University Hospital Basel, University of Bern and Inselspital, University of Fribourg, University of Geneva and HUG, University of Lausanne and CHUV, University of Neuchâtel, Università della Svizzera italiana, University of Zurich and University Hospital Zurich.
History of the SAFN
SAFN was created in 2014 following the recommendations of the working group "Organization of the animal husbandry in Switzerland", which were addressed to the former Rectors’ Conference of the Swiss Universities (CRUS). Now SAFN is a network of swissuniversities, the Swiss Rectors' Conference of Swiss Higher Education Institutions.
Aim of the SAFN
The SAFN aims at coordinating the current and future activities of the Swiss Higher Education Animal Facilities, focussing mostly on rodents. Three areas of activities have been identified: Communication, Animal Health Monitoring and Shared Services.
The SAFN aims also at establishing collaboration with other networks and initiatives, such as the Animal Welfare Officer network created by the Swiss Laboratory Animal Science Association, and the bodies in charge of Education and Training (e.g. Institut für Labortierkunde of the University of Zurich and Réseau des animaleries lémaniques).
Organization of the SAFN
The SAFN has two governance bodies, a Strategic Board and an Executive Board. Each body is composed of representatives of the Higher Education Institutions that have joined the network.
- Prof. Dr. Christian Leumann (University of Bern and Inselspital), Chair
- Prof. Dr. Nicolas Fasel (University of Lausanne and CHUV)
- Prof. Dr. Jean-Marc Fritschy (University of Zurich and University Hospital Zurich)
- Prof. Dr. Fabio Grassi (Università della Svizzera italiana)
- Prof. Dr. Manfred Kopf (ETH Zurich)
- Dr. Marjolaine Philit, substitute Prof. Denis Hochstrasser (University of Geneva and HUG)
- Prof. Dr. Eric Rouiller (University of Fribourg)
- Prof. Dr. Daniel Pinschewer (University of Basel)
- Prof. Dr. Didier Trono (EPF Lausanne)
- Dr. Xavier Warot (EPF Lausanne), Chair
- Dr. Kerstin Broich (University of Basel and University Hospital Basel)
- Dr. Gregor Fischer (University of Zurich and University Hospital Zurich)
- Dr. Santiago F. Gonzalez (Università della Svizzera italiana)
- Dr. Maëlle Le Pottier, substitute Dr. Jean-Luc Pitetti (University of Geneva and HUG)
- Dr. Laure Sériot (University of Lausanne and CHUV)
- Dr. Max Müller (University of Bern and Inselspital)
- Dr. Beat Schwaller (University of Fribourg)
Executive Board Observers
- Dr. Philippe Bugnon (Institut for Labortierkunde, University of Zurich)
- Dr. Fabienne Chabaud (Réseau des animaleries lémaniques)
- Dr. Laure Sériot (Animal Welfare Officer network
- Dr. Daniele Roppolo (swissuniversities)