Main Content

Cantonal Grants

In Switzerland the cantons are responsible for awarding financial support (grants and loans) to students wishing to study in Switzerland or abroad. On the basis of the relevant cantonal legislation they decide who receives such financial support. In principle, persons with a residence permit or refugee status may also apply for financial support. Under the Bologna Guidelines Art. 1 para. 2, grants can be awarded for both bachelor and master degrees.

In some cases, cantonal grants may be used to fund a period of study abroad. Students seeking to apply for such funding must demonstrate that the academic subject in question or that parts of such a subject are not offered at any Swiss university.

Further information