The Medicus Student Exchange program supports Swiss students and scholars to pursue a study or research stay in the United States. This can be done after completing studies or research projects at a university or research institution in Switzerland. The program offers 2 - 5 partial scholarships each year of about US$ 10,000. Each to be used toward the cost of tuition and other academic expenses. Scholarship lengths range from three months to one academic year. Candidates can apply for a scholarship only once, which is not renewable.
Master students or doctoral candidates who have already started their academic program in the United States can also be considered for a Medicus scholarship. They are eligible to apply for the second year of their master's program or the subsequent years of their doctoral program respectively.
- You are a Swiss citizen
- You are resident in Switzerland at the time of application
- You hold an undergraduate degree from a University or University of Applied Sciences and Arts completed by summer 2023.
- You have obtained your last degree at a University or University of Applied Sciences and Arts in Switzerland OR you are currently studying, researching, or lecturing at one of the universities or research institutions in Switzerland.
- As a professional candidate, you must have a minimum of 5 years professional experience in your field of study. Visual and performing arts applicants may be exempt from the requirements to have a third level qualification if you have 5 or more years of professional qualifications and or experience.
- You have English proficiency appropriate to the proposed study program or research/teaching project to be carried out in the United States
In the following cases, you are not eligible to apply:
- You hold dual citizenship with the United States, are a resident of the United States, or hold a “green card.”
- You will not have completed a bachelor’s degree (or equivalent) by summer 2023.
- You have already studied (bachelor’s, master’s or doctoral degree / non-degree studies) or conducted research (visiting student researcher or visiting scholar affiliation) in the United States
- Additional conditions for visiting student researchers and scholars:
- You have already received a stipend from the Swiss National Science Foundation for your proposed research/teaching project to be carried out in the United States.
- You plan a stay that begins before the start of the academic year or that takes place during the semester breaks. Research/teaching stays during these periods can only be considered under exceptional circumstances.
Application procedure and selection of the candidates
The application procedure for the Medicus Student Exchange Program is the same as for the Fulbright Program. swissuniversities also uses the Fulbright application forms for the Medicus grants. Please see the "Application Process" paragraph of the Fulbright Foreign Student Program or the Fulbright Visiting Scholar Program.
Important: Scanned copies of (unofficial) transcripts and diplomas (including Diploma Supplement) with English translations from all post-secondary institutions attended must be uploaded to the online application. However, unlike the Fulbright Foreign Student Program, Medicus applicants do NOT need to submit PAPER copies of official transcripts and copies of diploma(s)/degrees to swissuniversities.
The Medicus program does not include a service for placement at a U.S. university. Candidates must apply individually for university admission. Finalists nominated for a Medicus scholarship are asked to provide an official admission/invitation letter of the host university by the end of May 2023 at the latest. Only after receipt of a copy of an admission/invitation letter, the finalists will definitely be eligible for a scholarship of the Medicus Student Exchange Fund.
The selection of scholarship holders will take place during June 2023 after the exact amount of funding to be granted to U.S. and Swiss candidates has been announced by the Swiss Benevolent Society of New York.