Within the framework of a reciprocal exchange, the Republic of Poland, represented by the Polish National Agency for Academic Exchange NAWA, offers 4 scholarships of 9 months each to Switzerland. The scholarships can be divided into short scholarships of i.e. 1 month or granted for a semester or a full academic year.
The scholarships are offered for the following objectives:
- participation in scientific internship;
- completion of part-time studies;
- completion of university studies (first-cycle programme, second-cycle programme, Master’s degree studies or doctoral studies);
- study visit;
- obtaining materials for scientific work;
- conducting teaching activities at a host centre;
- other form or forms of scientific or academic activity related to the implementation of studies, doctoral thesis or academic work.
Participation in the Programme may be applied for by individuals who:
- completed secondary schools in the country of their residence, and who, at the time of completing the call for proposals for the Programme, hold a school certificate giving them the right to start studying any field of study and at any university in the certificate issuing country or
- are students at foreign universities or
- complete their doctoral studies at foreign universities or scientific institutions or
- are university graduates who received their diploma not earlier than two years before the current call for proposals and have a recommendation from their university – apply for admission to complete another level of education or
- are academic, didactic or academic and didactic researchers of foreign universities or scientific institutes
Students with dual citizenship (Poland/CH) are not eligible for Polish Government scholarships, even if they live and study in Switzerland.
Applicants who are already studying in Poland cannot apply for a scholarship. Exceptions to this rule are possible under certain circumstances.
Amount of Scholarship
|Level of Studies||Monthly Rate of Scholarship|
|First cycle studies (Polish equivalent of the Bachelor's degree)||PLN 1,250|
|Second cycle studies (Master's degree)||PLN 1,500|
|Doctoral studies||PLN 2,200|
|Post-doctoral studies||PLN 3,000|
In addition, students of full-time studies in Poland may receive:
- in the first year of studies – the first monthly scholarship plus PLN 500, allocated for the costs of establishment in Poland (applies to persons who did not graduate from lower degree studies in Poland)
- in the last year of studies – the last monthly scholarship plus PLN 500, allocated for the costs related to preparing the diploma thesis.
Meals in the refectory and accommodation in student dormitories are at the expense of the scholarship holders.
The required attachments to the application form are listed on page 9f of the Regulations.
IMPORTANT: Every application must contain two (2) copies of the listed documents in one of the following languages: Polish or English. In the case of documents issued in other languages, it is required to have them translated into Polish or English and officially certified. Documents in other languages will not be accepted.
Besides the scholarships offered within bilateral agreements, Swiss students and researchers can also apply to the following scholarship programmes:
Poland My first Choice Programme – Scholarships for Master’s degree studies
The Poland My First Choice scholarship programme aims to encourage young talented people from several countries, including Switzerland, to pursue studies at the best Polish HEIs. The Programme offers an opportunity to pursue full-time second-cycle studies in Polish or in another language at public and private HEIs on all fields of study offered by institutions offering education at highest level, with a monthly scholarship amounting to PLN 2,000 (ca. EUR 460) to cover the living allowance during the period of education in Poland. In the case of public HEIs, the Programme also offers an exemption from education fees. The call for applications is open from 19th March to 14th May 2019. Applications have to be submitted in an electronic form via NAWA’s ICT system.
Ulam Programme - Mobility grants for post-doctoral researchers
The objective of the Ulam Programme is to help foreign researchers to develop their career by intensifying international mobility as well as allowing them to establish scientific cooperation with excellent host institutions in Poland. Visits within the programme can last from 6 to 24 months. The Programme provides financing for a scholarship covering both the Beneficiary’s allowance costs in relation to their stay at a host institution, in an amount of PLN 10,000 a month, and a mobility allowance. The call for applications is open from 22nd January to 23rd April 2019. Applications have to be submitted in an electronic form via NAWA’s ICT system.